Tuesday, December 11, 2007

No Surprises!!!


The people I have been able to meet are mostly Indian, and believe me there are lot of Indians here in Leeds or atleast in my office at 1 Sovereign Street. The main shopping district is the city centre, very close by from my office. The two very close buildings are the Queens Hotel and the Hilton Hotel. Park Royal Hotel is also near by around in the vicinity.

The place is like same everywhere, same type of architectural building either containing some modern shopping area or is converted into some entertainment centre. The places look indistinguishable from each other. They all look the same to me. And oh my god!! The place is so disgustingly clean.

The most effective and reliable mode of transport is the buses and believes me they are real cool…. You can take a weekly green zone pass in the buses itself on ‘First’ service, the other one which ply in Leeds is another private operator called the ‘Arriva’. I have never travelled on ‘Arriva’ till now. And my friends tell me here that I never will be. But I like the colour of ‘Arriva’ buses, they are turquoise. Our ‘First’ buses are pink and white.


The people here all speak English so no problem at all, but the only problem is that huuhh. They sometimes speak in such accented tones that it goes swoosshhh.. and the only thing you reply back is those stale faces, then you realise that you must smile back and then you do that.. i.e. smile back and may decided to blink in rapid pulsate motion for I don’t know why.. Hey buddy, you got to do something, right. They are expecting some reply. So you may ask sorry or try to explain what you have understood. But these English people are courteous enough to understand that may be since you haven’t understood to explain you again. And again and again and again… Ok, they won’t be that courteous. One word of caution, never try to understand what a Scottish person is speaking, don’t bother, even the English cannot understand their English. This is what English people I have interacted have told me, be it the HSBC Bank Executive or my deployment resource.


Well!! If I want to say no surprises, so be it..... Absolutely NO Surprises!!!

No comments: